About Me

My photo
Rural, GA, United States
I'm an army wife, working mom of 2 kids.! My husband Tim is a Soldier In the army. I work for MWR for the Community Recreation Division as an admin assistant...I absolutely LOVE my job I couldn't have found anything better! My daughter, Kennedie, was born in January of 04 and our son, Cale, was born June of 09. Kennedie is VERY involved in dancing, she is in her 11th season (2019-2020) of being a competitive dancer. It's exhausting but we LOVE it. Cale is starting to REALLY get into sports. He is on a year round wrestling team, and he plays baseball in the spring! This blog started out as a recipe sharing venture but now it's going to turn into a more "granola" way to live. Cheap recipes more homemade recipes and re-purposing things. I'm a crafter at heart so I'm going to throw some of that in there too! On Valentines Day of 2017 we bought our first Travel Trailer. I'll be documenting our travels also on this blog!

Monday, May 20, 2013

It's produce season again!

 I LOVE when the produce is finally in season, it means HUGE savings.  So to offset costs in the winter I STOCK UP in the summer and freeze.  Creates a little more work in the summer but I'm ok with that because in the winter we are usually more busy with activities and if things are already pre-portioned I can just drop in the steamer and get dinner on the table quicker!
 
One thing I learned from my last post about using the foodsaver, is to NOT put broccoli in the foodsaver.  I cut up a dinners portion and put in a freezer bag and be done with it.
I also started canning our spaghetti sauce.  I added mushrooms, cilantro and onions to the mix that I purchased.  My husband is the only one that really eats the sauce so, I made smaller jars for his portion so we don't waste a whole big jar like we normally do of the jars from the grocery store.
I also recommend cutting up mushrooms and freezing.  These are the ball freezer jars (plastic) that are meant to be put in the freezer or the fridge.  I'm able to just drop them in our meal frozen and they cook up nicely.  I have also done this with onions.  I have a jar of each of these in the fridge, use them first and then go onto the frozen stuff.  Works out GREAT in our kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment